WORSHIP SCHEDULES & VENUES
We typically have Meetings for Worship on Sundays at 9:00 am and 11:00 am. Some of these Meetings are in “blended” format (Friends present physically in the Meetingroom connected to Friends online via Zoom). Meetings for Worship with Attention to Business are also in blended format.
From August 2023 through January 2024, AAFM will experiment with some changes in the schedule and form of Meetings for Worship:
- On the 1st and 2nd Sundays of each month (and 3rd Sunday in August and December):
- The 9 a.m. Meeting for Worship is in-person only.
- The 11 a.m. Meeting for Worship is blended (both in-person and on Zoom).
- On 3rd Sundays of most months (except August and December):
- The 7:45 a.m. Meeting for Worship is in-person only, in the Corner Room.
- 9 – 11 a.m. is Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business, which is blended.
- The 11 a.m. Meeting for Worship is blended.
- On the 4th Sundays of each month:
- The 9 a.m. Meeting for Worship is blended.
- The 11 a.m. Meeting for Worship is parallel: in-person only in the Meeting Room, with a separate online Meeting on Zoom.
- On a 5th Sunday (e.g., October 29, January 31):
- There is a single 10 a.m. Meeting for Worship, which is blended.
The purpose of this experiment is to learn how the Meeting can better meet the needs of Friends and attenders who rely on Zoom-related technology to join our Meetings for Worship and those who find worship difficult when such technology is present.
- Every Sunday:
- Zoom Link: https://tinyurl.com/AAFM-Zoom | Meeting ID: 818 7021 4329
- Business Meeting 9:00 – 11:00 am on 3rd Sundays.
- Fellowship with refreshments following rise of 11:00 am Meeting for Worship (and after the combined Meeting on 5th Sundays).
- Pot luck (all welcome) following rise of 11:00 am Meeting for Worship on 4th Sundays.
- 9:00 am (online-only)
- Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/81870214329 (Meeting ID: 818 7021 4329)
The Meeting’s Changes page describes recent changes to worship, events, and Zoom connections.
Meeting for Worship
We meet for worship every Sunday mornings in the Meetinghouse of Ann Arbor Friends Meeting, 1420 Hill St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104. On the 1st, 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month the meeting times are 9:00 a.m. (‘first’/’early’ meeting) and 11:00 a.m. (‘second’ meeting).
On 3rd Sundays, Business Meeting (Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business) is held at 9:00 a.m. The ‘second’ meeting time is unchanged at 11:00 a.m. on 3rd Sundays. During months when there is a 5th Sunday, the ‘first’ and ‘second’ meetings are combined and held at 10:00 a.m. Child care is provided for this meeting as well.
The ‘first’ meeting usually has a smaller attendance and tends to have little vocal ministry. The ‘second’ meeting has larger attendance and often has more vocal ministry. Child care is provided for the ‘second’ meeting. Children attend First Day School during this time.
We refer to the end of meeting for worship as ‘rise of meeting’. Fellowship with refreshments and informal socializing takes place in the Fellowship Room (or in the open backyard in good weather) after the rise of meeting on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Sundays. On 4th Sundays, there is an informal Potluck after the rise of ‘second’ meeting, to which all are invited.
Meeting for Worship for Business
Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business (also referred to as ‘Meeting for Business’ or ‘Business Meeting’) is held on the 3rd Sunday of each month from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. in the Meetinghouse of the Ann Arbor Friends Meeting, 1420 Hill St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104, with the exception of the months of August and December.
See the Meeting for Worship for Business page for more information.
‘Among Friends’ contains information about events, groups, and meetings organized by Friends individually or in groups. These events may not be under the direct care of (sponsored by) the Meeting.
- Reading and Discussion
In person, 4th Sundays, 10:05 a.m. (ET) in the Fireplace Room (not in December 2023).
On Zoom, the following Monday, 7:00 pm: https://zoom.us/j/81870214329 | Meeting ID: 818 7021 4329
Contact: Al Palmer and Naomi Gilbert
- Bible Hour
Meets weekly on Thursdays 9:30 a.m. (ET)
On Zoom only: https://zoom.us/j/81870214329 | Meeting ID: 818 7021 4329
Contact: Bill Riccobono and Phil Volk
- What it means to be a Quaker
1st and 3rd Wednesdays at 7:00 pm. Meeting House, Corner Room
Membership & Oversight Committee
- Spiritual Formation
1st and 3rd Fridays at 7:00 pm.
Contact: Tom Blackwell
- Spiritual Companionship Groups
Contact: Cassie Camman and Mark Hoover