2nd and 4th Sundays, 12:45 p.m. (via Zoom).
This ‘Reading & Discussion’ features the following discussions on 2nd and 4th Sundays from Britain Yearly Meeting Faith and Practice.
- June 13: On speaking truth as a Quaker. Reading from the blog The Postmodern Quaker, “Continuing Revelation, ‘What Canst Thou Say?’ and Speaking One’s Truth” published on April 17, 2020, will be discussed. The reading is at URL: https://postmodernquaker.wordpress.com/2020/04/17/continuing-revelation-what-canst-thou-say-and-speaking-ones-truth.
- June 27: This is the first in what is planned to be an ongoing series on being a Quaker. This discussion will focus on Quaker beliefs using the QuakerSpeak video, “9 Core Quaker Beliefs”, featuring Arthur Larrabee of Central Philadelphia Friends Meeting. The video is available at URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H08cyXVYDw.
The nine Quaker beliefs covered in the video are:
- There is a living, dynamic, spiritual presence at work in the world which is both within us and outside of us.
- There is that of God in everyone.
- Each person is capable of the direct and unmediated experience of God.
- Our understanding and experience of God is nurtured and enlarged in community.
- The Bible is an important spiritual resource, and the life and teachings of Jesus are relevant for us today.
- The revelation of God’s truth is continuing and ongoing.
- We welcome truth from whatever source it may come.
- Our inward experience of God transforms us and leads us into outward expressions of faithful living, witness, and action.
- Modeling God’s presence in our lives is more important than espousing beliefs.
Zoom connection information for the above is URL: https://zoom.us/j/99445532926 | Meeting ID: 994 4553 2926.
Please see the Meeting’s Reading and Discussion page for more information about the context, practice, and goals of ‘Reading and Discussion’.
Please see the Meeting’s Changes page for a comprehensive list of changes to worship, events, and Zoom connection information.